Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Bleeping computers

Ive been quite busy this week trying to finish my entries for the UK coloured pencil society exhibition. The deadline for entries is 7th June so not much time. I really need to be sending the entry on Friday so no pressure....

I think I might finish though. I have certainly finished one entry, but was hoping to enter two or three - more chance of getting one selected by the jury for the exhibition.
Because of the drawing I haven't had much time to do anything else, but did briefly have a look at my now defunct laptop.

It's been buggered for a while now. The graphics card burned out and it's quite an old Dell so not worth repairing really. But there is a bit of stuff on the hard drive that I could do with retrieving, particularly some photos.

So I removed the hard drive and acquired a USB to sata/IDE cable. Now I'm told that this should have sufficient power to recognise the Hdd as an external disk drive. But I cannot get it to work. Plugged in to my desktop PC, there was a brief moment of recognition on the screen, then nothing. The PC. Detected that something was attached, but didn't recognise it as a disk drive.
I don't know whether it's insufficient power, or whether it's the connections. The Hdd is an IDE and has 48 pins, the last 4 of which are jumpers.
The USB connector has 44, so I connected it to the main 44 ignoring the jumper pins. Not sure if this is right though.

Hoping some of you PC experts out there might have some ideas..... Bill?

I suppose I'll figure it out eventually, but just hoping for a short cut. By the way, the USB/IDE has an additional power cable - with a connector to fit to the motherboard. Was trying to do the job without opening my desktop case.....

Is anyone else sick of this rain? Maybe it's because we're in Cumbria where it rains more than anywhere else, but damn it, it's supposed to be July!
And although I do like walking in the rain, it's not so good when the weather is so warm, as waterproofs are so hot to wear, even the breathable kind. Much better in winter to walk in the rain, when I can get wrapped up in the waterproof gear without cooking...

Bedtime, so I will say goodnight. Maybe I will finish my pictures tomorrow. Hope so x

1 comment:

Bill said...

There is a missing pin on the hard drive connector that should line up with a blanked off hole in the plug. Assuming one hole is blanked off there is only one unique way that you could have connected it up - the right way. That leaves two possibilities. The first is that the hard drive is faulty, and the much more likely possibility that the USB cannot provide enough power for the drive by itself. Maybe you are going to have to open your PC to connect up a power lead to the socket on the adapter.

There could be another advantage in opening up your PC. You may be surprised at the amount of dust and dog hairs in it - particularly around the CPU cooler. While it's open give it a good hoovering inside. Use a small paintbrush to brush out the vanes of the CPU cooler, and the blades of it's fan. Doing that will extend the life of the PC.

Post a Comment