Total Pageviews

Monday 27 February 2012

Snoring....

Yes, snoring.

A touchy subject you would think. Yes indeed - no-one likes to admit to snoring, do they?
It's the butt of some seriously bad jokes, used to add comic effect to many a sitcom, but really it's just not that funny!
Not when you are the snorer...

Now I have recently discovered that I snore really badly. Recently? Yes.
As I have spent most of my life sleeping alone, how would I know that I snore?
Until I started travelling again and found myself sharing many rooms with complete strangers (female strangers, I have to add!), along with some friends.

Now I know how bloody badly I snore.
For example, in Sydney, I was woken in the middle of the night by a girl I'd never seen before shaking me and jabbering something incomprehensible into my face. Nearly scared me to death, until I realised that she was insisting that I stop snoring and let her get some sleep,

And then in New Zealand, in a room of four, a very grumpy German girl spent half the night stamping about as I was keeping her awake. In the end, one of my friends gave her some ear plugs and she fell asleep, while I spent the rest of the night trying to stay awake so as not to disturb anyone - listening to the rest of them snoring!
But not as loudly as I do :(

At a Buddhist retreat, I was in a dormitory, where all the women were too kind to say anything. However, they nearly all changed rooms in the course of my stay...

I have been told that it's not like a normal snore, but it sounds like I stop breathing, then snort myself back to life again. Reading up on this, it sounds a bit like a condition known as sleep apnoea.

So I thought I'd go and see if my doctor could help do anything about it.
You know what she said?

She didn't see it as a problem, as I sleep on my own & don't have a partner. She reckoned that the people I share a room with on the odd occasion could put up with it.

OK - so she's now condemned to sleeping alone for ever more, hasn't she? I may not have a partner now, but maybe I'd like to have one before I die :)

Who's going to want to sleep beside a person who makes a sound like a lear jet every night?

My current solution nowadays is to carry a packet of earplugs whenever I'm travelling. I hand them out to any room-mates - it's less embarrassing to admit in advance that I am going to sound like the monster of the deep, than to be woken by a grumpy tourist a 3am.

But it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the dating stakes. How sexy must I be, snoring like a train all night?

Ah well, Archie doesn't seem to mind....
(Archie is my little dog)  cheers Archie xxx






2 comments:

judith fallon said...

This might warrant some concern! My Bro was diagnosed with sleep apnoea - we used to take the mick out of his snoring, Deb even taped it once, when we were in the caravan. The doc told him that this sleep apnoea could have been one of the causes of his angina, and he has this special mask to wear to bed, connected to an air pump. Mind you, his snoring is a whole fleet of lear jets!!!

Ruby said...

Oh heck!
I haven't actually been told I have sleep apnoea yet, it just seemed like it to me from what people described.....
The doc didn't seem all that concerned. Mind you, that doesn't mean owt!!

Post a Comment